The day after Thanksgiving everyone goes into a frenzy to score deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. These retail holidays place a huge amount of emphasis on the urgency of need. But what does real need look like? Take a look around our community and our Esplanade House in particular.
The Tuesday after Thanksgiving has been deemed Giving Tuesday, and turns the focus away from what you can GET, and instead focuses on what you can GIVE. This year, #GivingTuesday falls on November 30th. This global movement aims to transform how people think about and participate in the giving season.
At Butte County CAA we provide hope to people struggling with poverty to become more self-sustaining by meeting tangible needs in the areas of energy savings, affordable food, and housing.
At Butte County CAA our mission is to serve as a catalyst to reduce poverty and its symptoms through:
- Providing quality services
- Developing resources
- Collaborating with others
- Advocating on behalf of the economically & socially disadvantaged
- Empowering individuals
- Improving the conditions in which people live, learn and work
We envision communities whose members feel secure and are self-sufficient.
We have a federal mandate to alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty by whatever means necessary in our community.
Currently, we do this by:
- Helping people on fixed incomes weatherize their homes so they can spend less on PG&E
- Managing the North State Food Bank, providing lower cost food options for fixed income families.
- Providing transitional housing to those who might otherwise end up homeless
- Providing affordable housing options to low income families
Butte County is rich in natural beauty, recreation, education and small industry, but is economically depressed. The poverty rate in Butte County from 2009-2013 was 20.4% with a much higher rate in Oroville (38.6%) than Chico (25.9%) or Paradise (15.4%). While incomes have improved for many, a large and growing percentage of the population has not experienced income gains sufficient to escape poverty. Unemployment is typically higher than the State average, which was 15.9% in the same time period.
Since 1967, Butte County CAA has been serving the needs of the region in alignment with the charter of the National Community Action Agencies overarching goal. The stated goal of all Community Action Agencies in the United States is defined as follows: To alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty by whatever means necessary in your community.
Through the years Butte County CAA has provided a number of programs and activities that meet this overall goal. Currently, the programs we offer are as follows:
- Energy and Environmental Services
- Food and Nutrition
- Affordable Housing
- Community Development
- Transitional Housing (Esplanade House)
Give to a Special Celebration
This year we are celebrating 30 years of our Esplanade House!
Our Esplanade House was created to get families out of the cycle of homelessness. Not surprisingly, the pursuit of that goal includes positive changes in other areas of our residents’ lives. We’ve seen hundreds of families regain custody of their children, find employment, complete schooling and graduate to stable housing of their own through this model.
This program is designed for more than just parents, it also serves their children. Homelessness and exposure to drug use can be traumatic for children and our Esplanade House offers a place where they can develop and grow in a stable environment.
We do this with the help of on-site licensed drug and alcohol counseling, case management of families, and group classes. We also provide support for off-site events like behavioral health counseling, drug court or anything else a person may need to achieve self-sufficiency.
If you would like to donate to our Esplanade House on Giving Tuesday, click the link below! Keep scrolling for other options to donate as well.
Other Options to Show Your Support
Donate By Mail
- Please send a check to Community Action Agency of Butte County, Inc., P.O. Box 6369, Chico CA 95927
Donate Online Via PayPal Giving
- By using PayPal Giving, your full donation goes directly to the CAA Fund of your choice. PayPal waives all processing fees so the community gets the full benefit of your tax deductible donation. Click on the fund of your choice below: