Want FREE help with your tax preparation?
Did your household earn $57,000 or less in 2020?
You are in luck! Starting February 16th, you can schedule an appointment to get free help filing your 2020 Federal and State income taxes.
When you are planning your time, keep in mind that both spouses must be present if filing joint tax return.
VITA 2021 Updates
We are happy to be able to facilitate VITA events this year, but they will look different as we added heath and safety measures due to the coronavirus.
Services will be by appointment only this year. We will use our Facebook page as the primary scheduler, but if you don't have Facebook you can go to our website or call us as well.
See our flier for all our VITA 2021 information: [CLICK HERE]
Schedule an Appointment
Because scheduling appointments is crucial to this year's VITA and the safety of our volunteers and tax filers, we made scheduling as inclusive as possible. Your options for scheduling are to book on Facebook, our website, or by calling us.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances and challenges this year VITA services will NOT begin at our Chico location until February 22nd, 2021.
- Our Durham VITA site will still be opening on February 19th, 2021. Please be patient with us as we are delaying the opening of our Chico VITA site so that we may serve the community to our fullest extent.
- If you would like to Register to receive an appointment at our Chico location you can register by selecting from one of the options we have listed below:
Please note: Appointments will be made as they become available. Scheduling may take up to 7-10 business days from the time of registration. If you have already left your name and number or contacted us by email you are already on this registration list.
When you schedule your filing appointment you will also get the location of your site. Because we are doing appointment only this year, there won't be long waiting lines like when the event was first come, first serve.
To avoid crowds and promote safety, site doors will be locked and people will not be admitted who do not have an appointment within 30 minutes of their arrival. We appreciate your understanding.
Another benefit of this new model is being able to socially distance tax preparers and filers. As of now we are hoping for hours of operations of 10:00am - 5:00pm Monday-Friday, however, they are dependent on volunteers' availability.
Information to Bring with you:
If you want to get the most out of the help from VITA volunteers, it’s important that you bring the necessary information. Without all the necessary information, your taxes cannot be completed. Some of the items that you need in order to successfully fill out your tax return include:
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card for you, your spouse, and dependents. If you don’t have a Social Security number, you will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or the proper proof of foreign status.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- All of your income statements which may include W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest & dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements)
- Last year’s tax return, both federal & state (this gives the preparer a good place to start on this year's return)
- Proof of bank account routing & account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for childcare or eldercare. Please bring the provider's name & tax ID number
- Both spouses must be present if filing joint tax return
You may be eligible for The Earned Income Tax Credit, EITC or EIC, is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. There is even a state version of the EITC called Cal-EITC. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund.
The VITA program is sponsored by the Community Action Agency of Butte County. One way to stay connected with the VITA program is to subscribe to the CAA blog and get email updates when the program starts each February. Sign up now or call Community Action Agency Butte County, Inc. at (530) 712-2883.
Since 1967, the Community Action Agency of Butte County has been serving the needs of the region in alignment with the charter of the National Community Action Agencies overarching goal: To alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty by whatever means necessary in your community. As Butte County CAA, we provide hope to people struggling with poverty to become more self-sustaining by meeting tangible needs in the areas of energy savings, affordable food, and housing. Connect with us to find out how you can get involved.