Want FREE help with your tax preparation?
Did your household earn less than $54,000 in 2018?
You are in luck! Starting Monday, February 4, 2019 and continuing until April 6th, 2019 you can head on over to one of the locations in Butte County, listed below, to get free help filing your 2018 Federal and State income taxes. Last year we filed over 1,200 returns for over $1 Million in refunds!
The VITA program exists as an ongoing partnership between Butte CAA and Chico State. Planning for the VITA program got off to a late start this year due to the Camp Fire. Chico State found themselves with only one of the two desired student directors and underfunded to pay for the second. Butte CAA stepped in and provided $2500 to Chico State, which enables us to have a full VITA program this year. Dr. Tim Kizirian, head of the Accounting Department of the College of Business at Chico State expressed his gratitude saying, "with the $2500 from your outreach, we can have a paid second director for this VITA season and hopefully have the same impact as last year. THANK YOU, this is an amazing surprise!" He even went on to say "CAA saved the day!"
We are so excited to have the program running at full strength again this year. If you meet the income qualifications, here's the next steps to take:
When you are planning your time, keep in mind that both spouses must be present if filing joint tax return.
Steps to take:
- Check the VITA schedule for the current year
- Choose the location that fits your needs (See below)
- Check the times or make an appointment if necessary
- Collect all necessary documents needed to complete your tax return (see below)
VITA Locations for Butte County:
CARD CENTER (MAP) Closed: March 18th & 20th
545 Vallombrosa Ave., Chico, CA 95926
Mondays and Wednesdays: 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
First Come, First Served
DOROTHY F. JOHNSON CENTER (MAP) Closed March 16th, 23rd
775 E. 16th St., Chico, CA 95928
Saturdays: 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
First Come, First Served
Spanish & English Speaking
DURHAM MEMORIAL HALL (MAP)
9319 Midway, Durham, CA 95938
Friday and Saturdays: By Appointment Only
Please Call: 530-345-1921, English Only
Starting: February 1st – April 6th, 2019
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, CHICO (MAP) Closed March 18th & 20th
Bell Memorial Union located on W. 2nd St., Chico 95928
Mondays and Wednesdays: 4:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Information to Bring with you:
If you want to get the most out of the help from VITA volunteers, it’s important that you bring the necessary information. Without all the necessary information, your taxes cannot be completed. Some of the items that you need in order to successfully fill out your tax return include:
- Photo ID
- Social Security Card for you, your spouse, and dependents. If you don’t have a Social Security number, you will need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or the proper proof of foreign status.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- All of your income statements which may include W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
- Interest & dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements)
- Last year’s tax return, both federal & state (this gives the preparer a good place to start on this year's return)
- Proof of bank account routing & account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Total paid for childcare or eldercare. Please bring the provider's name & tax ID number
- Both spouses must be present if filing joint tax return
The VITA program is sponsored by the Community Action Agency of Butte County. One way to stay connected with the VITA program is to subscribe to the CAA blog and get email updates when the program starts each February. Sign up now or call Community Action Agency Butte County, Inc. at (530) 712-2883.
Since 1967, the Community Action Agency of Butte County has been serving the needs of the region in alignment with the charter of the National Community Action Agencies overarching goal: To alleviate the causes and conditions of poverty by whatever means necessary in your community. As Butte County CAA, we provide hope to people struggling with poverty to become more self-sustaining by meeting tangible needs in the areas of energy savings, affordable food, and housing. Connect with us to find out how you can get involved.